IMO OPRC Model Courses for Oil Spill Response
Courses are designed according to the approved IMO OPRC model to train participants with information needed to make a quick, planned and effective response to an oil spill and have proper planning to stablish an appropriate response to the risk in the area.
Dr. Taylor, with over 30 years of experience, has been IMO OPRC model courses instructor in Peru (2002- Comisión Permanente del Pacífico Sur), Panama (2003- REMPEITC Caribe), Belice (2004, 2009, 2014, 2015 – REMPEITC Caribe), San Vicente & Granadinas (2009- REMPEITC Caribe), Anguilla y St. Maarten (2013 – REMPEITC Caribe) y Guinea Ecuatorial (2005, 2009, 2011 – IPIECA GI-WACAF), Ecuador (2015).
All courses include classroom exercises with Level 1 and Level 2 typically including a field component and response equipment demonstrations. The three levels of the IMO OPRC model courses include:
Level 1 – Operational Staff and First Responders (typically 2-3 days)
This course is designed for all technicians or supervisors who will participate in oil spill response teams or manage logistics and waste disposal in the field. The course entails classroom and field activities.
- Oil fate and behavior
- Site and risk assessments
- Health, Safety, and PPE
- Response containment and protection tactics and equipment
- Oil recovery and clean-up tactics and equipment
- Environmental issues in spill response
- Waste disposal
- Spill response teams and operational management
- Dealing with the media
Level 2 – Supervisors and On-scene Commanders (typically 4-5 days)
This course is designed for onsite coordinators who will lead or supervise oil spill response teams and those with field support responsibilities within an incident command or emergency team. The course entails classroom and field activities.
- Causes and fate of oil spills
- Environmental issues
- Contingency planning
- Health and safety
- Oil spill response management
- Response assessment, monitoring, and sampling
- Containment, recovery and protection
- Use of dispersants and controlled burning
- Shoreline clean-up
- Waste handling
- Media handling
- Terminating response
- Liability and compensation
Level 3 – Senior Management Personnel (typically 1-2 days)
This course is designed for all senior managers, administrators and senior officials who may be involved in planning for or managing the response to an oil spill. The course entails classroom activities only.
- Causes, fate and consequences of oil spills
- The roles of government and other key stakeholders
- International cooperation and legal frameworks
- Liability for claims and compensations
- Contingency planning
- Incident management
- Risk assessment and sensitivity mapping
- Response options, limitations , and Net Environmental Benefit
- Communications and media
NOTE about IMO OPRC Courses Certificate:
It is important to note that POLARIS does not use IMO logo unless permission has been expressly granted in writing, based on an official request by the client directly to the IMO.